Trinity Cert TESOL FAQ

What is the difference between Trinity CertTESOL and CELTA ?

Both courses teach English as a second (other) language, they just have different examining boards. The examining body for the Trinity CertTESOL is Trinity College London and the examining body for the CELTA is the Cambridge exam board (UCLES). Both courses are internationally recognised and are the only teaching qualifications The British Council will accept in the language schools they accredit in the UK.

Are all "TEFL certificates" the same?

No. Anyone can write a teaching course and issue something called a "TEFL certificate". Most reputable schools will ask for a recognised accreditation. The two most popular are the Trinity TESOL certificate and the Cambridge CELTA certificate. These courses have elements that most schools require: over 100 hours of tuition, 6 hours or more of observed lessons with ESOL students, external moderators.

What is the difference between EFL/TEFL/ESOL/TESOL?

Don't worry about it. These are different names for broadly the same thing: Teaching English to people whose first language is not English. This could be school students studying in the UK for a few weeks over the summer, it could be someone applying to study law at a British university. It could be a businessman learning how to deliver a presentation fluently and confidently or it could be a new migrant to the UK learning to fill in a form at the doctors.

Can I do part time work at the same time as the TRINITY CertTesol course?

It is definitely not advisable to work at all during the 4 week intensive course. The amount of work required is considerable. Trainees are expected to attend classes every day from 9:00 - 18:00. As well as input sessions every day, trainees need to complete written assignments, observe peers and experienced teachers and prepare for their own taught lessons. Also put all family and social commitments on hold for the whole month!

Do I need to speak another language?

No. All lessons are taught in English, although some experience of learning another language will help you empathise with your learners.

Do I need previous teaching experience?

No. Many people taking the course have not taught before, although experience of delivering presentations or any kind of training may be useful.

Is it easy to find work as an EFL/ESOL teacher?

There are many opportunities both in the UK and abroad. The summer period in the UK, from June to September, is particularly busy and even inexperienced teachers with an accredited certificate will be able to find work easily. Outside these months works is still available at private language schools, local colleges and pre-university courses, but these positions may require more teaching experience. Outside the UK there are opportunities at all levels, although pay and benefits will depend on experience, ranging from a reasonable standard of living to positions including free apartments and flights.

Will you help me find a job after the course?

Yes. The course has sessions on how to apply find and apply for work in the UK and abroad. The school will provide references and a course report to all prospective employers. Towards the summer language schools, including The Liverpool school of English, will be looking to hire teachers for their busy summer period.

I do not live in Liverpool; will the school help me find accommodation?

The school is able to offer home stay accommodation at £130 per week including meals for trainees who are not local residents.

Email for further information or to book a place or apply now!





Send Enquiry

Test Your English